Thursday, June 9, 2016

APR2016 combo ojvm + psu patch

Strange behaviour we noticed yesterday. we downloaded and installed the combo PSU OJVM patch p22738657 using opatch version 12.1.0.1.10 we deployed it both on Linux x86_64 as on Solaris SPARC. using opatchauto in the case of linux and using a generated oplan in the case of SPARC amazed to see that it looks like in both cases the OJVM patch wasn't install
[grid@charel008 ~]$ opatch lspatches
23006522;OCW Interim patch for 23006522
22806133;DATABASE BUNDLE PATCH: 12.1.0.2.160419 (22806133)
22674709;Database PSU 12.1.0.2.160419, Oracle JavaVM Component (Apr2016)
22502518;ACFS Patch Set Update : 12.1.0.2.160419 (22502518)
21436941;WLM Patch Set Update: 12.1.0.2.5 (21436941)
 
OPatch succeeded.

  
[oracle@charel008 ~]$ opatch lspatches
23006522;OCW Interim patch for 23006522
22806133;DATABASE BUNDLE PATCH: 12.1.0.2.160419 (22806133)
 
OPatch succeeded.

I checked a bit the usual directories to check and checked in
$ORACLE_HOME/.patch_storage/NApply/2016-05-25_10-48-41AM
 
And I don’t see the ojvm patch there However I see it here ….in grid home
 $GRID_HOME/.patch_storage/NApply/2016-05-25_11-06-16AM/
[ogrd@bert007 2016-05-25_11-06-16AM]$ ls
patchlist.txt
[ogrd@bert007 2016-05-25_11-06-16AM]$ cat patchlist.txt
User invokes OPatch via "NApply" to process the following patches:
 
snipped...

Patch ID: 22674709
Patch Location: "/u01/stage/patch_apr/22738657/22674709"
Patch storage area: "/u01/app/grid/product/12.1.0/grid/.patch_storage/22674709_Apr_5_2016_08_56_18"
 



then In bundle.xml in the patch directory

            
                
                    Oracle Database
                    Oracle 12.1.0.2.0
                
                
                    Oracle Database
                    Oracle 12.1.0.2.0
                
            
        
        
            
                
                    Oracle Database
                    Oracle 12.1.0.2.0
                
                
                    Oracle Database
                    Oracle 12.1.0.2.0
                
                
                    Oracle Database
                    Oracle 12.1.0.2.0
                
                
                    Oracle Database
                    Oracle 12.1.0.2.0
                
            
        
 
While for the patch straight under it is put type=”oracle_datababase” so I think the issue is there in the bundle.xml in the patch directory. Let's see what support says UPDATE : Support wasn't very clear about this and kept on saying that this patch shouldn't be installed on a non Exadata system, while this isn't the case. " Overview of Database Patch Delivery Methods ( Doc ID 1962125.1 ) Database Patch for Engineered Systems and Database In-Memory Short Name DBBP Target environment/s 12c DB installs on Exadata. Also applicable to any 12c system using Database In-Memory (DBIM) features, RAC or non-RAC. Applicable to both Database and Grid homes. DB Versions 12.1.0.2 onwards only Platform/s Unix platforms, including Exadata systems, but also for any system using DB In-Memory (DBIM) Released Released monthly. Patch Content Includes miscellaneous fixes for Engineered Systems along with fixes for Database In-Memory. Critical Patch content is included quarterly. Also includes fixes for the Grid home for Exadata and RAC systems. See Note:888828.1 Exadata Recommended Patch Information Note:756671.1 Current Recommended Patches Recommended Version Recommend to be on the latest quarterly release Notes The patch name sometimes causes confusion - the patches can be used in both Exadata and non-Exadata systems. " this sr took really a long time and came to the wrong conclusion focussing on the workaround which was manually deinstall GI OJVM patch and re-apply the ovm on DB home. After closure we had a meeting with oracle support manager and they think that indeed the issue with the xml file which i pointed out from the beginning ;-)

No comments: